Wednesday 27 November 2013

Winnie the Pooh IS Cool!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/3066810282_7a6ca1d8e2.jpg
Winnie the Pooh is by far my favorite childhood book, and one of the things that upset me most is when people only think of Pooh bear as the animated Disney version opposed to the beautifully drawn classic version. I know its a really stupid thing to get upset over, but I cant help it! Even now at the age of fourteen I still read it from time to time and all my friends think it is rather childish. But when you read the original story it does use grown up language, and has captivating aspects that as a child I simply skimmed over.
Here are some extracts: 

"Pooh,promiseyou won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred."

Pooh thought for a little.

"How old shallIbe then?"

"Ninety-nine"

Pooh nodded.

"I promise," he said.

Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh's paw.

"Pooh," said Christopher Robin earnestly, "if I - if I'm not quite - " he stopped and tried again - "Pooh,whateverhappens, youwillunderstand, won't you?"

"Understand what?"

"Oh, nothing." He laughed and jumped to his feet. "Come on!"

"Where?" said Pooh.

"Anywhere," said Christopher Robin.

So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.

 "By the time it came to the edge of the Forest the stream had grown up, so that it was almost a river, and, being grown-up, it did not run and jump and sparkle along as it used to do when it was younger, but moved more slowly. For it knew now where it was going, and it said to itself, "There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." But all the little streams higher up in the Forest went this way and that, quickly, eagerly, having so much to find out before it was too late."

 Even the dedication in A.A.Milns books are incredible:

"You gave me Christopher Robin, and then You breathed new life in Pooh. Whatever of each has left my pen Goes homing back to you. My book is ready, and comes to greet The mother it longs to see -- It would be my present to you, my sweet, If it weren't your gift to me."


If you haven't read them and you are an adult, its not too late. There is always a first time for everything including Winnie the Pooh. I think they are selling a Classic refurbished collection at Waterstones where they fit all the stories into one big book. Of course they kept all the original art in it which just makes it even better.


See ya soon,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment